Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
Well, I'm feeling pretty well settled into the Lupron phase of my cycle now. D is a master injector. He swears the secret is speed...the faster he plunges the needle into the skin (within reason of course!), the less painful the shot. If you hesitate, you'll be sorry is what he told me before I injected myself for the first time last night. Guess what? I hesitated. It hurt a little. But, it was a tolerable pain, and I'll do better the next time.
Got an email from a pregnant friend whose baby shower is next Saturday. She knows we're doing IVF and is trying to be sensitive about the fact that we are in completely opposite positions, fertility wise, and I so appreciate that. But, sometimes she can't help herself and goes on about things like how pudgy her baby's cheeks looked on the ultrasound, or how beautiful the crib is that her father made for her. Thank god we communicate mostly through email, so when she starts going down that road, I can just skim right over it. Anyway, she brought up her shower and said You're coming, right? Well, I didn't want to tell her that No, I wasn't coming, I'd rather stick forks in my eyes than go to a baby shower right now. So instead, I did what I know many other self respecting infertiles have done when backed into a corner by a pregnant person: I lied. I made up a lame excuse about why I couldn't go. I feel guilty about it, as I know this is important to her. I'd want her at my shower, should I ever be fortunate enough to have one. But, I know I need to stay in self preservation mode right now. Considering the fact that I probably would have vomited all over everyone the second they collectively hummed ''Awwwwww" after the first present was opened, I think I'm doing us all a favor by not going.
Got an email from a pregnant friend whose baby shower is next Saturday. She knows we're doing IVF and is trying to be sensitive about the fact that we are in completely opposite positions, fertility wise, and I so appreciate that. But, sometimes she can't help herself and goes on about things like how pudgy her baby's cheeks looked on the ultrasound, or how beautiful the crib is that her father made for her. Thank god we communicate mostly through email, so when she starts going down that road, I can just skim right over it. Anyway, she brought up her shower and said You're coming, right? Well, I didn't want to tell her that No, I wasn't coming, I'd rather stick forks in my eyes than go to a baby shower right now. So instead, I did what I know many other self respecting infertiles have done when backed into a corner by a pregnant person: I lied. I made up a lame excuse about why I couldn't go. I feel guilty about it, as I know this is important to her. I'd want her at my shower, should I ever be fortunate enough to have one. But, I know I need to stay in self preservation mode right now. Considering the fact that I probably would have vomited all over everyone the second they collectively hummed ''Awwwwww" after the first present was opened, I think I'm doing us all a favor by not going.

7 Comments:
At 6:13 PM,
Portlairge said…
I consider that a white lie. It would be nice to think that our fertile friends would say I would like you to come to my shower but I'll understand if you can't" and leave it at that. But, they don't, hence the white lie. Glad you are doing well with the lupron.
At 3:35 PM,
April said…
There's nothing wrong with what you did. Consider it a method of saving your own sanity. Even after all this time, I'm learning that saying no is not only easier for me, but it's better for everyone involved.
Interesting theory on the "speed" of shots ... I may have to look into that.
At 5:59 PM,
charlie's mom said…
The speed thing is definitely true. Speed, confidence and the all important 90 degree angle. Not jerking around after it's in helps too. Ahem. Witness the huge bruise slightly left and below my navel.
Don't feel bad about the baby shower. That's what white lies are for. You need to take care of yourself.
At 6:45 AM,
beagle said…
This is my method to survive "other people's baby joy" when I am in a place where that joy will cause me excessive pain:
1) polite white lie to avoid going
2) avoid the going
3) order fantastic guilt-assuaging gift online and ship direct to expectant Mom, gift wrap, e-greeting and all
4) depending on the closeness of pg friend, and what you can handle emotionally: give gift in person if this would mean more to both of you. Suggest a lunch date out somewhere, just the two of us . . . (cuts down on the ooh and aah factor and the pain) and shows you care about her even in the middle of your own nightmare.
Don't feel bad . . . just like on airplanes: apply your own oxygen first then worry about other people second. It's not selfish, it's necessary.
At 6:30 PM,
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed a lot! » »
At 9:54 PM,
Anonymous said…
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »
At 4:03 AM,
Anonymous said…
Best regards from NY! arthritis cat arthritis ny pain relief Jerome alexander cosmetics Tree stand seat covers Online child care degrees Flash memory for kodak digital dx7630 camera Cultures of asians and hispanics Lasik eye surgeons in sacramento ca get percocet prior prescription oxycodone percodan percocet roxicodone hydrocodone no Keywords dvd player
Post a Comment
<< Home