Fertility Faux Pas

One woman's quest for mommyhood, despite the fact that most of her girly parts aren't behaving in a socially acceptable manner.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Day 2 of Stims

It's official. I am the most uninformed IVF cycler in the universe. I went in on Friday (day 10 of Lupron injects) for lab and ultrasound. The wand monkey revealed that I had four small follies on the right (5,5,5,5) and five small follies on the left (8,7,5,5,5). My lining was still pretty thick at 11, and Dr Funny said to expect a full blown period. My uterus must have heard him, because by the time I got off the exam table, I started bleeding pretty heavily. Luckily I was able to get dressed and get to the bathroom before I made a mess of everything. Went upstairs and had blood drawn at the lab, then headed back to work.

I was supposed to start stims on Friday. However, Friday afternoon my IVF nurse called me and said to continue with 5 units of Lupron only for two more days. Then he rattled off my stim protocol, which was not to start until Sunday. 150 of Gonal-F and 1cc of low dose HCG in the morning, 150 of Gonal-F and 5 units of Lupron in the evening. Also 2 doxycycline pills a day, while D takes 2 Cipro a day.

As I frantically wrote all of this info down, my mind must have turned to mush, because when the nurse asked if I had any questions, I stupidly said no. No idea what my E2 level was, no idea why they made me wait to start stims until Sunday and no ballpark idea on when my retrieval will be. By the time I realized my idiocy, it was after 4pm and too late to call the clinic back. So, I let it go over the weekend and have resigned myself to having a list of questions at the ready when I go in for more lab work on Tuesday.

So there it is...a summation of the last few days. Sorry it is so boring and devoid of quirky or witty stories, comments, or the like. It's just that I'm feeling soooo tired lately. Is it the lupron? Maybe. Have I worried myself into exhaustion? Perhaps. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually glad to start stims. After D gave me my first shot of Gonal F he said "There. Do you feel stimulated now"? Oh, how I wish. This exhaustion is for the birds.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Portlairge said…

    A little unfair that they don't give you that stuff in writing. I was exhausted on the lupron too. It improved after a few days of stims. That is completely normal. Your E2 level probably wasn't low enough for complete supression so that's why they did the lupron for 2 more days. I didn't start stims until CD 2 of the lupron period. Your follies sound great though. It's hard going through the first IVF because you're not sure what to ask. It's a good idea to write it down so you are prepared when they call. I have the nurse write down my follicle sizes and lining before I leave the office along with my med instructions. Then I only have to get the blood numbers when they call.

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger beagle said…

    Thank you for your post on my blog. I too am goofy on Lupron.

    I have the same problem when RE's office calls and rattles everything off. If you can, tell her to hang on, you want to write this down, that slows them down and gets you a minute to gather your thoughts while you look for a pen.

    I like portlairge's suggestions even better . . . ask them to write it down!

    It's all so overwhelming for us but so eveyday for the RE/staff.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Hi, came across your blog. I'm on day 6 of stims. I'm also doing lupron. The exhaustion is definitely from the lupron. I'm surprised they didn't give you your protocol in writing. I agree with portlairge maybe your E2 wasn't low enough. It should be less then 50 in order to start stims. I like to have a list of questions so when they call I can ask. When you go in for the scan they can let you know how the follies are measuring. Good luck!

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I liked the blog.

    Man opiate addiction is sneaking up on America like crazy, and the government doesn't ecen realize how bad it is getting, don't you think?

    I am a recovering opiate addict from a pain killer addiction.

    I just made a site Pain Killer Addiction.

    I basically describe my story, how I got through it, and I give all kinds of informatio and adive on pain killer addiction and any opiate addiction.

    Even if I can help only one person get rid of that horrible diseas I would be happy!

    Well I'll check back, and hopefully you like the site.

    GM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home