Fertility Faux Pas

One woman's quest for mommyhood, despite the fact that most of her girly parts aren't behaving in a socially acceptable manner.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Doubt at 6w2d

I had a freak out of massive proportions yesterday. Actually, it started when I was laying in bed Monday night. I couldn't fall asleep so I did the next logical thing, which was obsess about my pregnancy symptoms. Or lack thereof. Within fifteen minutes, I had totally convinced myself that something must be terribly wrong.

I rolled over in bed, shook my husband's shoulder and said "I don't think I'm pregnant anymore!"

He responded by blinking away sleep and looking at me like I was insane.

"Seriously, I don't feel any different. Shouldn't I just "know" somehow that I was pregnant? Wouldn't I be able to tell?"

More blank stares. Thankfully, he quickly realized that this was not the response I was hoping for. He did his best to reassure me, and snuggled up next to me til I finally fell asleep.

Not to be defeated though, I continued on like this all day yesterday. Nervous and anxious. Worried and agitated. Then guilty and sad. Why can't I just be happy for god's sake? After all these years, I'm finally here and all I can do is fucking stress about it?

I sort of feel like I did a few days before my beta. Trying to stay positive about the possibilities of this happening before someone takes it away from me. Except this time, instead of them saying I'm sorry, your beta was negative they could say I'm sorry, there's no heartbeat. Which is worse? They both equally suck in their own way I guess.

Now I realize some of you may be thinking Oh please. Cry me a river on your pillow full of positive pregnancy tests and high beta numbers. I know. But these scars run so deep. I always thought the infertility journey would end once I finally saw those elusive two lines. But it doesn't end there. Not even close. It's so damn hard to let go of doubt and disbelief.

But I'm trying.

And that's the best I can do.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Kellie said…

    I believe you are being 100% normal. I am currently 9w1d and still think I am not pregnant. I have had no m/s to speak of. We've been trying for our first since 1999, so you can imagine the disbelief.

    Hugs and good luck when you get your ultrasound.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger beagle said…

    I can promise you that if I ever am pregnant (WHEN I am pregnant) (revised for positive thoughts effect) . . . I will be reacting exactly like you are. The scars of IF are deep and I think your feelings are totally normal for whence you've come!

    I equally feel hope for you that you can look back and laugh and say, how silly of me to worry, it was all fine in the end! And also feel empathy for your stress until you KNOW it is OK.

    Hang in there . . . you got this far, you'll get through this part too.

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't it interesting how different it seems with a new perspective? TTC seemed so hard, until we went to an RE and learned what "hard" really meant! The dreaded 2WW seemed so long, until we got pregnant and learned how "long" a wait could really be! And the whirlpool of infertility seemed so emotional, until I experienced my own pregnancy and realized what "emotional" really was! And I imagine that as my children grow and we start to TTC again someday, that my perspective will change again and everything I'm saying today will seem just silly!

    I know that flood of emotions, the constant second guessing, and the never ending and always growing list of worries can consume you sometimes. It's normal! But chances are, your pregnancy will be, too. You've worked so hard for this and you deserve EVERY moment of it!! So I hope you can get a little peace of mind soon so that you can enjoy it all.

    Congratulations to you, by the way.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Mellie said…

    I'd be more surprised if you WERE able to not worry and completely enjoy it. I think this is why the home doppler business exists.

    I hope that there does come a time, hopefully soon, where the doubt gives way to joy.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lut C. said…

    "Cry me a river on your pillow full of positive pregnancy tests and high beta numbers" We'd never tell you that.

    No, that line is reserved for oops-PGs or the it-worked-first-time-PGs.

    Really, if you would claim to be all relaxed about being PG now, and say that all IF woes are forgotten, I'd think you were faking it. ;-)

    I wonder if such a thing exists, a fake IF blog.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Winnifred said…

    I'm on my 2ww - but i'm positive that unless i have extreme symptoms it's going to be really hard for me to "believe" that i'm pg (if not this time, whenever that happens!)

    By the way - I think that IF is part of who we are from now till the end... It's not something I will "recover from". At one point it will stop impacting my life - when i'm done having children - but it will still not change that we are infertile... you know? (at least that's my view!)

    hugs! Should we pray that you get morning sickness? ha!HA! totally kidding!

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger jude said…

    I'm another right there with ya! I'm not feeling any different than I was 7w2d ago!

    I'm on the freaked out train too! I have to make it past my Level II ultrasound @ 12w to really feel like I can "allow" myself to even think of feeling pregnant.

    Lots of cyber hugs to you!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    After your long journey your response is normal. I know it's hard to be positive when you are overcome with worries. Wishing you the best.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    6w2d here and i'm the same! I acutally took an HPT this morning just to make sure. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Hang in there. You're not alone!

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great site » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home