And the Hits Just Keep On Coming...
I didn't even see it coming when my OB called on Tuesday morning. I had kind of put the whole CF testing nonsense out of my brain and was just piddling around at my desk when the phone rang.
When she said that my husband is a carrier of the CF gene too, it felt like the wind got sucked out of me.
What were the odds supposed to be for both of us to be carriers? I can't remember, but the odds were small. Miniscule, in fact. Plus, surely SNATCH would never have allowed us into their program if they knew we were both carriers of this gene, right?
I called SNATCH and left an hysterical message for my doctor demanding to know what the hell happened with my PGD screen. Apparently, hysteria works because he called me back.
I heard him flipping through my chart over the phone.
The first words out of his mouth? "Oh, crap".
That's never good.
He explained that initially my test results came back negative. He signed off on those results. But then at some point the lab sent over a corrected set of results that showed I was positive. He said he never saw that report though, as it had not been signed by him.
This was a terrible mistake, he said. This never should have happened.
We shouldn't have been approved for IVF. We should have been counseled to use donor eggs or donor sperm. Or adopt.
Now all of a sudden we have a meeting with a genetic counselor tomorrow and an appointment for an amnio.
Odds that I will miscarry as a result of the amnio? 1 in 200.
Odds that my baby will have Cystic Fibrosis? 1 in 4.
Even I, the statistical enigma, can't believe this is happening.
This never should have happened.
When she said that my husband is a carrier of the CF gene too, it felt like the wind got sucked out of me.
What were the odds supposed to be for both of us to be carriers? I can't remember, but the odds were small. Miniscule, in fact. Plus, surely SNATCH would never have allowed us into their program if they knew we were both carriers of this gene, right?
I called SNATCH and left an hysterical message for my doctor demanding to know what the hell happened with my PGD screen. Apparently, hysteria works because he called me back.
I heard him flipping through my chart over the phone.
The first words out of his mouth? "Oh, crap".
That's never good.
He explained that initially my test results came back negative. He signed off on those results. But then at some point the lab sent over a corrected set of results that showed I was positive. He said he never saw that report though, as it had not been signed by him.
This was a terrible mistake, he said. This never should have happened.
We shouldn't have been approved for IVF. We should have been counseled to use donor eggs or donor sperm. Or adopt.
Now all of a sudden we have a meeting with a genetic counselor tomorrow and an appointment for an amnio.
Odds that I will miscarry as a result of the amnio? 1 in 200.
Odds that my baby will have Cystic Fibrosis? 1 in 4.
Even I, the statistical enigma, can't believe this is happening.
This never should have happened.

20 Comments:
At 10:14 AM,
Anonymous said…
That your clinic missed this is absolutely horrible. Horrible.
I will be praying for you that you are on the right side of statistics on this one - 75% that he/she does not have CF.
I will be thinking of you.
At 11:24 AM,
Chastity said…
OH MY GOSH! Your doctor actually said "Oh crap"?!? This really sucks, and I will definitley keep your baby in my prayers. Hopefully baby will be in that 75%.
At 1:03 PM,
Anonymous said…
This blows my mind. Wow.
I'm thinking of you as well.
At 1:42 PM,
Portlairge said…
I can't believe this. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I will hope and pray that things work out all right.
At 2:05 PM,
Anonymous said…
Well for goodness sake. I'm sorry. But still, 75% is pretty good odds. Hang in there. Unbelievable incompetence on the part of Snatch.
At 3:38 PM,
Les said…
can't beleive they missed that WTF? I will be thinking of you.
At 4:19 PM,
Winnifred said…
OMG OMG OMG!!!!
That's just CRAZY :( I'm sending positive thoughts your way... and remember... even if the 1 out of 4 turned out to be true - it doesn't mean the FULL FORCE CF that we mostly imagine... BUT i'll keep praying your baby is in the 75% chance that he/she is completely healthy... just think - those odds (75%) are better odds than you getting pregnant - and you did that :)
HUGS!! I know - words are mostly lost right now - this must feel like hell.
At 7:08 PM,
Demeter said…
I can't believe it! I hope your amnio goes well. Will be thinking of you!
At 4:47 AM,
Thalia said…
I can't even express how shitty I think this is. I can only imagine how scared you are right now. I am hoping very hard that you will now, finally, be lucky.
At 11:03 AM,
Rachel said…
I am *so* sorry. That is just an awful trauma that could have been avoided. I am holding out the strongest hope for you that your baby is healthy. You and yours are in my thoughts.
At 11:59 AM,
charlie's mom said…
Oh that is so horrible. I want to sue SNATCH for you. I really do. That is INEXCUSABLE.
I keep thinking of 75%. Those are not bad odds. Try to keep looking at them that way.
At 1:07 PM,
x said…
That is awful. For a clinic to be so careless about something so important. I am hoping and praying for you and your baby.
At 4:26 AM,
Lut C. said…
That's just horrific. How can they be so careless?
I'm crossing my fingers for you.
At 2:46 PM,
Pamplemousse said…
I am horrifed for you that this has happened. My thoughts are with you and your husband and I hope you come out on the good side of the stats.
At 2:53 PM,
Milenka said…
I'm sorry that they're stupid and careless, and I'll be thinking of your family.
At 4:40 PM,
Liz said…
I am so sorry that you are going through this. This is so horrible. I'll be praying for your lil one. Thinking of you.
At 3:46 AM,
Anonymous said…
Oh. My. God.
I am so angry for you right now that I am shaking. I cannot, simply cannot believe that Dr. W, not to mention all of SNATCH dropped the ball on you. How in the hell could they do this is just beyond me.
I cannot imagine the level of anxiety and fear this is causing for the two of you. If there is anything, and I mean anything, I can do (even just an ear to listen, or someone to sit quietly with), you know how to reach me.
At 8:42 AM,
beagle said…
I am almost an entire month late in catching on to this trauma. I am so very sorry. I will add my hopes and prayers that your sweet girl falls on the good side of 3/4.
At 2:23 PM,
Anonymous said…
My sister found out that both she and her husband were carriers for CF when she was 7 months. Perfect baby boy, and she decided to risk it again with her second boy (not a decision I would make, but there you go). Perfect boy again. The odds are terrifying, but you still have more of a chance of things coming out the other way. I wish you peace, and some luck, and joy in your baby girl.
At 5:07 AM,
Anonymous said…
Very nice site! »
Post a Comment
<< Home