Obsessions
One of the things that infertiles seem to have a lot of is time to ruminate about why the sperm doesn't seem to want to meet the egg. When you try and try but still fail cycle after cycle, you can't help but become obsessive about what is (or isn't) happening with your body.
It all starts out innocently enough, doesn't it? I joined Fertility Friend. I started temping and charting. I did OPKs. I checked for CM and occassionally experienced the displeasure of checking my cervical position. Hard or soft? High or low? Open or closed? I never really did figure that one out.
Then I moved on to preoccupying myself with Clomid, Femara, HSG, Laporoscopic surgery, IUIs, and injectibles. I moved on to IVF and obsessed about my meds, my E2 levels, how many follies I had, how many eggs they retrieved, my fertilization reports. The list goes on and on.
So I guess it should be no surprise that when an in infertile finally does get pregnant, she enters a phase where she doesn't really know what to obsess about. I've read so many blogs where the writer finds herself knocked up and suddenly doesn't know what to talk about. Maybe it is because all you can really obsess about at that point is whether the baby is still alive or not. It's all you can think about for the entire first trimester. I guess you can only blog about it so much without feeling like you are annoying or hurting your blogosphere friends who are still trying.
Now that I've entered my second trimester, new obsessions have started to pop up. Things like whether I should eat deli meat, soft cheese, sugar, fat, non-organic meat, caffeine, or artificial sweeteners. Will I kill my baby if I apply self tanner or drink a non-alcoholic beer? How about if I use Windex? What about if I clean the litter box, exercise, garden, take a bath, lay in the sun, lift something heavy or have an orgasm? Am I gaining too much weight? Too little? Am I drinking enough water? Getting enough vitamins? Eating enough vegetables? Should I already look like I've swallowed a cantaloupe when I'm just shy of 14 weeks? Bah, it's no wonder I'm so tired all the time. My mind won't stop spinning.
Before I would have blogged endlessly about all of my obsessions. But since this is an infertility blog, and most of my readers are still trying, maybe that isn't really appropriate? For now I've decided that instead of obsessing about myself, I'll continue to read about you all, hoping that soon motherhood will come to you, in any way possible. Sure, I'll still post here and there, because pregnancy is a scary thing too, and sometimes I just need to get things off my chest. But for the meantime, maybe I just need for things to sink in a little more over here before I can really blog about it.
Anyway, right now I'd much rather spend my time checking in on things like Fisher Queen's exciting news or Prop and Thalia's current IVF cycles. To me, it's much more interesting than googling about whether Feta cheese is safe to eat as long as it is pasteurized. Whatever...I'll just use mozzerella instead.
It all starts out innocently enough, doesn't it? I joined Fertility Friend. I started temping and charting. I did OPKs. I checked for CM and occassionally experienced the displeasure of checking my cervical position. Hard or soft? High or low? Open or closed? I never really did figure that one out.
Then I moved on to preoccupying myself with Clomid, Femara, HSG, Laporoscopic surgery, IUIs, and injectibles. I moved on to IVF and obsessed about my meds, my E2 levels, how many follies I had, how many eggs they retrieved, my fertilization reports. The list goes on and on.
So I guess it should be no surprise that when an in infertile finally does get pregnant, she enters a phase where she doesn't really know what to obsess about. I've read so many blogs where the writer finds herself knocked up and suddenly doesn't know what to talk about. Maybe it is because all you can really obsess about at that point is whether the baby is still alive or not. It's all you can think about for the entire first trimester. I guess you can only blog about it so much without feeling like you are annoying or hurting your blogosphere friends who are still trying.
Now that I've entered my second trimester, new obsessions have started to pop up. Things like whether I should eat deli meat, soft cheese, sugar, fat, non-organic meat, caffeine, or artificial sweeteners. Will I kill my baby if I apply self tanner or drink a non-alcoholic beer? How about if I use Windex? What about if I clean the litter box, exercise, garden, take a bath, lay in the sun, lift something heavy or have an orgasm? Am I gaining too much weight? Too little? Am I drinking enough water? Getting enough vitamins? Eating enough vegetables? Should I already look like I've swallowed a cantaloupe when I'm just shy of 14 weeks? Bah, it's no wonder I'm so tired all the time. My mind won't stop spinning.
Before I would have blogged endlessly about all of my obsessions. But since this is an infertility blog, and most of my readers are still trying, maybe that isn't really appropriate? For now I've decided that instead of obsessing about myself, I'll continue to read about you all, hoping that soon motherhood will come to you, in any way possible. Sure, I'll still post here and there, because pregnancy is a scary thing too, and sometimes I just need to get things off my chest. But for the meantime, maybe I just need for things to sink in a little more over here before I can really blog about it.
Anyway, right now I'd much rather spend my time checking in on things like Fisher Queen's exciting news or Prop and Thalia's current IVF cycles. To me, it's much more interesting than googling about whether Feta cheese is safe to eat as long as it is pasteurized. Whatever...I'll just use mozzerella instead.

13 Comments:
At 3:35 PM,
Lut C. said…
Is that the survivor's guilt talking? Blog if you need to, don't if you don't.
We're big girls. I know that if I need to look away for a while, I will. And I'm sure I'm not alone.
Take care.
At 6:25 AM,
Family Ties said…
Thank you for posting this.
At 7:44 AM,
Chastity said…
Maybe you should start a separate pregnancy blog. Infertile ladies like hearing about other infertile ladies pregnancies...or at least I did.
At 9:21 AM,
Anonymous said…
Ah, indeed. This blogging world is doing wonders for me in terms of not researching the same topics over and over again in rampant google obsession. Thanks, girls! (PS Fertility Friend...*groan*)
At 8:57 AM,
charlie's mom said…
I've been worrying about all those things too...As for the not posting thing, I hope that you continue. I'm finding that I need to read about pregnancy after IF almost as much as I needed to read about other people's IF experiences. Whenever something hurt too much (right now I can't read about miscarriages) I just read elsewhere.
At 12:29 PM,
Liz said…
The worries and obsessions will never end. Blog/vent away...we're here for you.
At 1:08 PM,
beagle said…
For me, it's just good to read that there IS pregnancy after infertility!
I'm sorry to hear that the obsession does not simmer down (but not all that surprised). It is such a hard won victory, so much at stake, it only makes sense that it's scary but it's also sad that you don't just get to skip over that fear into bliss when you finally get that BFP.
Thinking happy thoughts for you and deriving hope from your success!
B
At 4:27 AM,
Anonymous said…
This post totally rings true. I just got there (to the "you're kidding, I'm really pregnant after all of this? oh dear god, what's going to go wrong now?" stage). And I'm feeling similarly about posting about my "success" when most of my friends are still in the torture of trying and trying and trying. Thanks for articulating it so well.
At 4:09 PM,
beagle said…
tag! you're it...see my blog for details!
Maybe this will distract you.
At 5:27 PM,
Demeter said…
I just bimped into your blog and realized you had high FSH, and became pregnant! Congratulations I am a few weeks behind you, so I wil be following your steps.. This is my first time and I am a newbie!
Oh, and by the way, FF is great isn't it?
At 2:46 PM,
Anonymous said…
This is very interesting site... »
At 5:19 PM,
Anonymous said…
best regards, nice info salt lake city incorporation Idaho statues incorporate Cheap contacts acuvue California nonprofit articles of incorporation Farmers insurance and gary jacobs Stock broker malpractice Hard drive recording link Alcohol and acyclovir incorporating six sigma into educational institutions Wil rose Xanax zanax 1mg incorporate wa Incorporation wv Mississippi breast enhancement agency Us hockey Proposal to incorporate bulgaria to yugoslavia What are the symptoms of prozac withdrawal stylus sofas Pay mt aspire visa bill online incorporate and online md
At 1:28 PM,
Anonymous said…
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »
Post a Comment
<< Home