18 Weeks...Now With Added Drama
I guess you could say I'm a recessive gene kind of girl. I'm a redhead. I have green eyes. And I can roll my tongue into a "U" shape. All recessive traits. Which is fine...I like being a little bit different. These things make us unique, right?
Yesterday I got a call from my OB. She is really cool and I have a ton of admiration and respect for her. And it's not just because she's done IVF three times and knows what it is like to deal with infertility. She's also got some of the best bedside manners of any doctor I've met. So, for now we'll call her Dr. Awesome.
At my last appointment, we did the AFP test. I wasn't worried about it, and it turns out I didn't need to be. All test results were within the normal range.
But...
They also ran a Cystic Fibrosis screen and Guess What? I'm a carrier. Let's chalk another one up under the list of recessive genes I've got going on in this screwed up body of mine.
Dr Awesome was reassuring without sugar coating anything. "The chances of both you and your husband being carriers are very slim. However, if it turns out that he is also a carrier for CF, then your baby will have a 25% chance of having the disease." She suggested I make an appointment right away to have him checked.
Before I made the appointment, and after I spent some time madly searching Google for info about CF, I called my husband to tell him the news. While I was imagining our unborn child coughing itself into fits and dying in my arms, my husband gently reminded me that he thought SNATCH also performed a CF screen before we did IVF.
This perked me up. Yes, they did test me, didn't they? Surely they would have. And if there was a problem they would have told us, right? So I got on the phone and called SNATCH to find out.
That was 2 days ago.
So far all I've found out is that yes, they did run a CF screen on me on Nov. 4th. The nurse I talked to did not know my results and did not know if they tested my husband. "I'll put the file in front of Dr. W and have him call you to go over the results."
Well he still hasnt called. So far the phone call tally is me: 5 calls to SNATCH and 3 to Dr Awesome's office vs ZERO returned calls to me with info.
With each passing minute that I don't get a call, I get a little more pissed off...and a little more worried. I'm sure everything is fine, but still...
Yesterday I got a call from my OB. She is really cool and I have a ton of admiration and respect for her. And it's not just because she's done IVF three times and knows what it is like to deal with infertility. She's also got some of the best bedside manners of any doctor I've met. So, for now we'll call her Dr. Awesome.
At my last appointment, we did the AFP test. I wasn't worried about it, and it turns out I didn't need to be. All test results were within the normal range.
But...
They also ran a Cystic Fibrosis screen and Guess What? I'm a carrier. Let's chalk another one up under the list of recessive genes I've got going on in this screwed up body of mine.
Dr Awesome was reassuring without sugar coating anything. "The chances of both you and your husband being carriers are very slim. However, if it turns out that he is also a carrier for CF, then your baby will have a 25% chance of having the disease." She suggested I make an appointment right away to have him checked.
Before I made the appointment, and after I spent some time madly searching Google for info about CF, I called my husband to tell him the news. While I was imagining our unborn child coughing itself into fits and dying in my arms, my husband gently reminded me that he thought SNATCH also performed a CF screen before we did IVF.
This perked me up. Yes, they did test me, didn't they? Surely they would have. And if there was a problem they would have told us, right? So I got on the phone and called SNATCH to find out.
That was 2 days ago.
So far all I've found out is that yes, they did run a CF screen on me on Nov. 4th. The nurse I talked to did not know my results and did not know if they tested my husband. "I'll put the file in front of Dr. W and have him call you to go over the results."
Well he still hasnt called. So far the phone call tally is me: 5 calls to SNATCH and 3 to Dr Awesome's office vs ZERO returned calls to me with info.
With each passing minute that I don't get a call, I get a little more pissed off...and a little more worried. I'm sure everything is fine, but still...

9 Comments:
At 9:03 AM,
Winnifred said…
I'm surprised they did a CF testing as routine checks? We had to get genetic councelling PRIOR to being tested... it as a huge ordeal... and ours both came back negative although my dh's urologist is CONVINCED that my dh DOES have CF, but that out of the tests they ran they didn't find it (cause they only test for the most common stands or whatever they're called)
ANYWAYS - I wanted to share a piece of info that my family dr. told me when I was freaked out prior to getting tested (my dh's azoospermia is porbably linked to CF that's why we had to be tested) anyways - she said that out of that 25% there is a wide range of HOW the disease affects the child... Some have nothing more than a mild form, kind of like Asthma. That helped me A LOT because in my head it meant that one in FOUR chances my child would have a horrible disease for life (i knew a girl growing up that has CF... not a good story!)
Anyways - I hope that can help ease your mind a tiny bit until you hear back from the clinic. AND - don't forget that like your dr. said - chances that you're BOTH carries are SLIM!!!
At 10:51 AM,
Mellie said…
Winnifred's words should be comforting. I hope the RE's office calls back soon, but I would separately be arranging for your husband to be tested, just in case.
At 7:55 AM,
charlie's mom said…
I wish they would call you back. That is just horrible. I'm also crossing fingers that the reason they didn't report his result the first time was because it was fine.
At 6:40 PM,
Chastity said…
You should be pissed that no one has called you back. I think doctor's forget how it feels to sit and wait by the phone, especially when you're worrying about your unborn child that you worked SOOOO hard to get.
At 3:16 AM,
Thalia said…
I hope that your husband is negative and you can stop worrying. And I hope those blooming clinics get off their butts and call you back soon!
At 3:24 PM,
Demeter said…
Hopefully it is nothing to worry about. I would call the Dr. back and become his worst nightmare until he calls you back!
Good Luck on the results.
At 7:38 PM,
Anonymous said…
I am pissed for you right now and hope you got some resolution today. We were also tested as a matter of routine with SNATCH - in fact, Dr. T made sure to tell us our results. So, Dr Witty is not on my good list at current since he slacked with you. I am pissed but good. I am praying that the reason it was never mentioned to you (although unconscionable in my opinion) is that your husband is clear - but I would verify that independently. I hope things have resolved. Thinking of you.
At 5:04 PM,
YouGuysKnow said…
I am also a carrier - and i was tested during a pre-pregnancy panel, so luckily we were alerted and Hubs was able to get tested (he is negative, so we're in the clear). I hope you get some answers soon. thinking of you. hugs.
At 4:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! expert hold em poker tip happy face car seat cover ford aston martin company finance reports side effects of the antidepressant lexapro Alternatives to effexor xr Engine online placement ppc search Hot amatures with sex toys provigil abuse biggest frenching in antidepressant seroquel Carbohydrate craving and antidepressants Discount fluoxetine online antidepressant best loss weight www proactiv soultion com Fairy odd parents porn advanced dvd pilates Tv commercials free archives
Post a Comment
<< Home