Fertility Faux Pas

One woman's quest for mommyhood, despite the fact that most of her girly parts aren't behaving in a socially acceptable manner.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Time Flies



I can't believe my daughter is almost 6 months old already. It is amazing how quickly time has flown by. In those first early weeks, I remember cringing when people said she would start to sleep better after a couple of months. A couple of months? Each day and night seemed to last an eternity, especially those long nights of winter. I would dread the darkness, knowing that I would not sleep, and feeling like I was the only person on earth who was awake.

But, the days and nights all melted together and now that I look back they seem to have flown by. V sleeps through the night like a champ now. I only nurse her three times a day and feed her formula/cereal the other three feedings. Now that those late night feedings have gone to the wayside, I realize now how much I miss them. It was our time together, and I loved looking down at her as she scrunched her nose up against me and held my finger with her tiny hand as she ate.

She has been well all winter, thank God. No colds, no sniffles, no runny noses or coughs. I try to maintain a certain sense of normalcy, and not to treat her too much like "the girl in the plastic bubble". Granted, I don't let her roll around with other kids yet, but I take her everywhere: to the grocery store, to the mall, out in the stroller. She LOVES the stroller.

We went to an outdoor St Patrick's Day festival this past weekend. There was green beer and a band for the grownups and jumpy castles and face painting for the kids. When we ran into the couple and their two boys from across the street, the boys both wanted to reach in and touch V's hands. I don't know why all kids seem to want to do that...It must be some sort of weird instinct. Thankfully, their mother (who is a nurse) told them not to touch her as they both had dirty hands. So, they just leaned over her as she sat in the car seat, which was fine, until, to my horror, the younger one proceeded to drool onto her blanket! I'm already learning: No matter how much I try to protect her, she's going to be exposed to this kind of stuff. They just don't make enough Purell to protect her from it all.

26 Comments:

  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Marie-Baguette said…

    she is such a cutie! I am so relieved to learn that she is doing well and growing and smiling! Take care

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your daughter is gorgeous, what a beautiful smile!
    Thank you for sharing her pic.

    Sounds like you are doing a marvelous job as a momma. Enjoy!

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Caba said…

    She is beautiful! What a Blessing!

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Thalia said…

    Wow she is GORGEOUS! It sounds like you are doing everything you can to make sure she has a healthy first year. I can only imagine the worry that a cold etc would bring. Forgive me as I don't know much about such young children w CF, do you do physio etc with her already to help her lungs to clear?

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Lut C. said…

    What a beautiful picture of a beautiful little girl!

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger beagle said…

    She is a beautiful little girl!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She is the absolute picture of utter perfection!! She is just gorgeous! I'm so glad that you are doing so well. I miss the late night feedings too..are we crazy? I seem to make up for it by snuggling her up for each nap. You just can't get too much of that.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Mony said…

    What a beauty!
    Nice to hear from you!

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Chastity said…

    She's such a pretty girl! I remember dreading the night too when Lila was in her early months.

     
  • At 3:24 AM, Blogger bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said…

    .. .. .. .. ...

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    She's gorgeous! Absolutely perfect. It must bring you such joy to gaze at her little face. Thanks so much for posting. I've been longing for an update.

    It sounds like you're doing the best you can to protect her. In the end, short of severely restricting her activities, there's no way to keep her world completely sterile. You seem to be finding a great middle ground. Way to go mom!

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    She is beautiful. You are doing a wonderful job. Much blessing to you both.

     
  • At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pCAZBh Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dPtSNx Wonderful blog.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please write anything else!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please write anything else!

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful blog.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful blog.

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello all!

     
  • At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice Article.

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful blog.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    zX7Ng8 Good job!

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks to author.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Beth said…

    Several years have passed, yet I think of you often. I drive past REACH and wonder. Wishing you well. Beth from what was once prop your hips up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home