Part 3
Enter Dr No Drugs for You...
I couldn't tell you what he looks like, because my eyes were clenched shut the whole time, but I couldn't have been more happy to "see" him. Even though I thought he was an asshole for making me stay in labor til it was time to push before I could get my epidural.
He had me assume the position on the side of the bed, which was hard to do as the baby had dropped so far down that I could barely sit. I guess her head created a lot of pressure when I sat up because as soon as I did, my water broke. Plus, I peed at the same time. At least that's what they tell me.
Water/pee went everywhere. All over me, the bed, my nurse (who actually had to change clothes afterwards) and Dr No Drugs. Funny how normally this occurence would have been mortifying to me, but at the time I could have cared less. I just wanted that needle in my back.
I actually felt the needle go in. I think normally I would have found this painful, but again I could have cared less at the time. They could have put that epidural in my eye and I think I would have been fine with it.
Now, after experiencing 4 days of contractions and 10 hours of hard labor, let me just tell you that I think the epidural is the finest medical invention known to man. In a mere ten minutes, I transformed from a sweating, grunting and extremely unfriendly woman to a perfectly pleasant person again.
Once I was settled in the bed, the nurse checked my cervix and told me I was at ten centimeters. Then she ran to get the doctor and told me not to push until she got back.
She and the doctor came in five minutes later, and told me it was time to go ahead and start pushing whenever I felt a contraction. Ironically, and mercifully, I actually couldn't feel contractions anymore. So, I totally faked it and said "Oh, I think I feel one" and would just randomly push whenever. I would have done anything to protect my precious epidural that I worked so hard for...I just didn't want them to turn it down if they knew I couldn't feel my contractions!
After about five pushes, the doctor asked me if I wanted to feel her head. I reached down and for the first time my fingers touched the soft spot on her head. It felt so warm and soft and the tears instantly sprung to my eyes. I pushed one more time and she slid right out.
There was meconium in my amniotic fluid, so they took her away to suction her out first. I didn't hear her cry right away, and I started to panic. Right as I started to try to propel myself out of the bed to get to her, she let out a cry so shrill and so beautiful...the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.
They weighed her (5lbs, 5oz) and measured her (19 inches), wrapped her up and handed her to my husband, who promptly walked to over to my bed and handed her to me. He snuggled up behind me and we both looked at this perfect, pink little thing, and to both of our amazement, she looked right back at us, first at me and then at my husband. She looked us right in the eyes, and it was like she instantly recognized us and trusted us. It was the most precious moment of my life. We both started crying and stroking her and every ounce of pain I felt during labor completely melted away.
I am so thankful that I got to experience pregnancy and childbirth. It was a long and difficult road, but the reward at the end made it all worth it. I'd do it again in a second.
I couldn't tell you what he looks like, because my eyes were clenched shut the whole time, but I couldn't have been more happy to "see" him. Even though I thought he was an asshole for making me stay in labor til it was time to push before I could get my epidural.
He had me assume the position on the side of the bed, which was hard to do as the baby had dropped so far down that I could barely sit. I guess her head created a lot of pressure when I sat up because as soon as I did, my water broke. Plus, I peed at the same time. At least that's what they tell me.
Water/pee went everywhere. All over me, the bed, my nurse (who actually had to change clothes afterwards) and Dr No Drugs. Funny how normally this occurence would have been mortifying to me, but at the time I could have cared less. I just wanted that needle in my back.
I actually felt the needle go in. I think normally I would have found this painful, but again I could have cared less at the time. They could have put that epidural in my eye and I think I would have been fine with it.
Now, after experiencing 4 days of contractions and 10 hours of hard labor, let me just tell you that I think the epidural is the finest medical invention known to man. In a mere ten minutes, I transformed from a sweating, grunting and extremely unfriendly woman to a perfectly pleasant person again.
Once I was settled in the bed, the nurse checked my cervix and told me I was at ten centimeters. Then she ran to get the doctor and told me not to push until she got back.
She and the doctor came in five minutes later, and told me it was time to go ahead and start pushing whenever I felt a contraction. Ironically, and mercifully, I actually couldn't feel contractions anymore. So, I totally faked it and said "Oh, I think I feel one" and would just randomly push whenever. I would have done anything to protect my precious epidural that I worked so hard for...I just didn't want them to turn it down if they knew I couldn't feel my contractions!
After about five pushes, the doctor asked me if I wanted to feel her head. I reached down and for the first time my fingers touched the soft spot on her head. It felt so warm and soft and the tears instantly sprung to my eyes. I pushed one more time and she slid right out.
There was meconium in my amniotic fluid, so they took her away to suction her out first. I didn't hear her cry right away, and I started to panic. Right as I started to try to propel myself out of the bed to get to her, she let out a cry so shrill and so beautiful...the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.
They weighed her (5lbs, 5oz) and measured her (19 inches), wrapped her up and handed her to my husband, who promptly walked to over to my bed and handed her to me. He snuggled up behind me and we both looked at this perfect, pink little thing, and to both of our amazement, she looked right back at us, first at me and then at my husband. She looked us right in the eyes, and it was like she instantly recognized us and trusted us. It was the most precious moment of my life. We both started crying and stroking her and every ounce of pain I felt during labor completely melted away.
I am so thankful that I got to experience pregnancy and childbirth. It was a long and difficult road, but the reward at the end made it all worth it. I'd do it again in a second.

14 Comments:
At 9:11 AM,
Nickie said…
wow. simply beautiful. this is why I'm hoping for a VBAC - to be able to experience that moment w/o being splayed out on the OR table like a thanksgiving turkey.
At 2:06 PM,
Lut C. said…
You did it!
At 7:25 PM,
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for sharing your incredible experience of birthing your precious baby girl.
Very best wishes to you and your daughter.
At 7:40 AM,
x said…
What a fabulous experience. I'm a little scared of labour right now so it's good to hear that you forget it once it's all done with. Thank god for epidural's!
At 11:03 AM,
Anonymous said…
You are awesome!! Thank you for sharing!! I love how you decribe the feeling that you had when you first touched her tiny head..WOW!! I wish you and your family the best and will be checking in on you regularly... I want to hear all of your baby stories.
At 8:37 AM,
Anonymous said…
Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your birthing story
At 5:43 AM,
beagle said…
I'm focusing on the last two paragraphs, how beautiful!
(The birth part still scares me a bit but I am sure ever bit of pain is worth holding that baby in your arms!)
Congratulations again . . . and GOOD JOB!
At 2:35 PM,
Marie-Baguette said…
Congratulations!!!! Your posts are very moving. Please continue blogging, I want to know more about the little one!
At 2:46 PM,
YouGuysKnow said…
oh
thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. it's really truthful and beautiful. congratulations and I wish you the very best - we all do! hugs
At 7:48 PM,
Sara said…
Congratulations! What a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing it. Good luck as you start your new life with your precious baby.
At 8:54 PM,
Shop Girl said…
Sorry I'm a bit late with the comment, but congratulations! The moment you described your baby looking into you and your hubby's eyes brought tears to mine. Hope you're enjoying motherhood to its fullest.
At 12:12 PM,
beagle said…
Just stopping by to say hello and hoping you are doing well.
At 7:18 PM,
Anonymous said…
Wondering how baby and parents are doing. I do hope all is well.
At 12:58 PM,
Anonymous said…
Are you ever coming back? I know how hard it is as a new parent, but we miss you! Wondering how you are all doing.....
Post a Comment
<< Home