The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
I think I'm doing this wrong. The whole pregnancy thing, that is.
I guess it has taken me a long time to come full circle. When I saw those two lines for the first time, I convinced myself that surely there was something wrong with the test. Before each ultrasound, I was positive that I would receive the horrible news that there was no heartbeat, that the sac was shrinking and reabsorbing back into my body. I didn't tell anyone about my pregnancy until I was 14 weeks, and even then I was apprehensive about it, convincing myself that somehow I was jinxing things.
Even when my body started to change and it was obvious to others that I was in fact with child, I remained apprehensive. I kept buying clothes one size larger rather than succumb to the elastic band of maternity pants. My bras? Well, let's just say I'm down to two and both of them need to be put out to pasture.
I started feeling movement at about twenty weeks, and only then did it occur to me that this might actually happen. So, I've sort of been revelling in that fact for the last few weeks.
Apparently, according to the "normal mommies", I should be doing a lot more. I should have been signing up for hospital tours and prenatal classes. I should be creating a baby registry. I should be decorating the nursery and buying baby clothes.
It just recently occured to me that I'm 26 weeks along and I haven't done any of those things. In fact, I've done nothing to ready myself or my home for this baby.
Maybe that's not such a bad thing though. I mean, who wants to go to those birthing classes that just scare the hell out of you anyways? I can barely watch "Baby Story" for god's sake. Plus, I get so freaking overwhelmed the second I darken the door of Babies R Us. I don't even know what I should be shopping for. I'm completely ignorant of all things baby.
I think these thoughts all the time, and then right on cue she starts rolling and flipping, punching and kicking and I think to myself, who am I kidding? This baby is coming, whether I ignore it or not. Perhaps it is time to let go of all my fears and doubts and actually start getting ready for this.
Maybe I'll start small. I'll just buy some onesies or something. Everyone loves onesies, right? They're so cute and small. Then maybe I can move on to nursery furniture. I think she'll need a crib, right? Eventually I can work my way up to boppies and basinettes, crib sheets and diaper genies. But don't get me started on breast pumps. Not unless you want to freak me out all over again.
It's kind of funny actually. I have wanted this for so long...this pregnancy, this baby. And now that it is finally here, I've never been more unprepared for anything in my entire life.
I guess it has taken me a long time to come full circle. When I saw those two lines for the first time, I convinced myself that surely there was something wrong with the test. Before each ultrasound, I was positive that I would receive the horrible news that there was no heartbeat, that the sac was shrinking and reabsorbing back into my body. I didn't tell anyone about my pregnancy until I was 14 weeks, and even then I was apprehensive about it, convincing myself that somehow I was jinxing things.
Even when my body started to change and it was obvious to others that I was in fact with child, I remained apprehensive. I kept buying clothes one size larger rather than succumb to the elastic band of maternity pants. My bras? Well, let's just say I'm down to two and both of them need to be put out to pasture.
I started feeling movement at about twenty weeks, and only then did it occur to me that this might actually happen. So, I've sort of been revelling in that fact for the last few weeks.
Apparently, according to the "normal mommies", I should be doing a lot more. I should have been signing up for hospital tours and prenatal classes. I should be creating a baby registry. I should be decorating the nursery and buying baby clothes.
It just recently occured to me that I'm 26 weeks along and I haven't done any of those things. In fact, I've done nothing to ready myself or my home for this baby.
Maybe that's not such a bad thing though. I mean, who wants to go to those birthing classes that just scare the hell out of you anyways? I can barely watch "Baby Story" for god's sake. Plus, I get so freaking overwhelmed the second I darken the door of Babies R Us. I don't even know what I should be shopping for. I'm completely ignorant of all things baby.
I think these thoughts all the time, and then right on cue she starts rolling and flipping, punching and kicking and I think to myself, who am I kidding? This baby is coming, whether I ignore it or not. Perhaps it is time to let go of all my fears and doubts and actually start getting ready for this.
Maybe I'll start small. I'll just buy some onesies or something. Everyone loves onesies, right? They're so cute and small. Then maybe I can move on to nursery furniture. I think she'll need a crib, right? Eventually I can work my way up to boppies and basinettes, crib sheets and diaper genies. But don't get me started on breast pumps. Not unless you want to freak me out all over again.
It's kind of funny actually. I have wanted this for so long...this pregnancy, this baby. And now that it is finally here, I've never been more unprepared for anything in my entire life.

17 Comments:
At 9:44 AM,
x said…
I think I have done the same with regards pregnancy. I spend so much time research infertility that I am not sure I'll have a clue what is going on if I ever get pregnant.
Onsies sound like a great start. Any baby showers for you coming up?
At 10:17 AM,
soralis said…
Thanks for the kinds words on my blog! Congrats on the PG! It's wonderful to hear every time IVF works for someone!!
I felt like I was reading a recap of my PG... all I ended up buying was 2 onsies before I was on bed rest (twins related). It is a shame we miss out on the regular PG stuff after a difficult time conceiving. :(
P.S. I was totally unprepared for the birth of my boys and we still did ok (Hubbs had to make a quick trip to Walmart the day we got home but we managed!! :) )
Take care
At 3:49 PM,
Anonymous said…
I could have written this post myself! I bought a crib this past weekend, we only went to look, but the one we wanted had the floor model on sale, so we had to do it. My 16 week appt. was the next day and I was so sure I would be stuck with a "as is, final sale" crib and no heartbeat. Well, that little bean was kicking away! That made me feel better, to see kicking, but not feel it yet...things ARE happening in there!! It is time to you to start, but start slowly, it will begin to get really fun.
At 7:25 PM,
Melinda said…
You are SO not alone here. I'm 27 weeks pregnant today and I have yet to buy a single article of clothing. I keep telling myself: August. August is when we will buy a crib. August is when we will being looking for a pediatrician. August is when I will stop pretending that the baby's kicks atr just bad gas.
At 7:31 PM,
Demeter said…
The scars of infertility are devastating, to the point that they pervade your beautiful pregnancy, but at least you can see this now. Don't let the fear get to you, this should be the most wonderful time of your life, celebrate it with all the little steps even if they are little, before baby arrives. You won't regret it.
At 11:13 PM,
queen said…
Delurking to say: My IVF/ICSI gave us a glorious BFP last week. My husband told me he when the time comes he wants to buy a laundry basket to use as a crib/bassinet. That way, if our pregnancy ends badly, we'll still have a laundry basket.
I hope this pregnancy ends in a baby and I hope we're strong enough to risk buying a crib at that point.
At 2:22 AM,
Thalia said…
Of course it would be great to have loads of stuff for the baby, but so long as you have somewhere for them to sleep, as many onesies as you can find, nappies, nappy cream, and a changing mat, I think you'll be fine.
Glad to hear that the movement is starting to make this more real for you.
At 6:02 PM,
M said…
I could have written this post! I've been in denial pretty much the entire time. And I'm still in denial. At 28 weeks we just ordered the furniture, signed up for birthing classes, and I began to believe this is for real.
I have some clothes in her closet, all with the tags on. I haven't washed them yet, for fear of jinxing something.
All of my fertile friends have had their nurseries done by now (ours is an empty room), had their birthing classes, etc. etc. I thought I would be very much on top of things and instead I spent the entire pregnancy wondering if it was real.
At 11:01 AM,
Chastity said…
You sound exactly like I did...I waited even longer than you to tell the world that I was pregnant. I never took a childbirth class, because really, you can't really prepare yourself for it. I never took a hospital tour. When I finally got somewhere in the 25 week range I decided that nothing bad was going to happen and I could actually enjoy getting ready for the baby. Good luck :).
At 12:54 PM,
Anonymous said…
Oh shit, I am going to have to *buy* baby stuff? Oh damn, I think I might stroke out if I darken the door of a BRU. Perhaps you could try something easier for your first step - like just buy a pack of diapers at Target - not as overwhelming as a BRU?
At 2:45 PM,
Mellie said…
I can hardly believe you're that far along! So glad to hear it though.
Lately I've been wondering if my parents could just go and buy everything and set up the nursery for me the day after I give birth, while I'm still at the hospital...
At 7:05 AM,
beagle said…
It will be OK. Really.
Do you have a non-annoying non-smug fertile pal who can walk you through the registry/shopping thing? I know I will need my SIL to tell me what to buy when I ever get to that point. I have NO CLUE. I don't even know where I put my pg books when I hid them in a fit of despair.
Your feelings are totally understandable to me.
Congrats on reaching the 26 week mark! Ready or not, that is a beauitiful thing!
:-)
At 7:24 AM,
Anonymous said…
You're not alone, I'm nearly 27 weeks and swing between complete denial & abject terror on an hourly basis.
I keep thinking maybe 28 weeks (but then I said that about 16 and 20 as well).
LEB
At 2:31 PM,
Anonymous said…
Good day!
What does everyone think of what is going on in Iraq?
Wow, I've found the same to be true too! Where did you get that at?
See you soon! Girly Girl
[url=http://usa-paid-surveysweirkfg.blogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url]
At 1:52 PM,
Anonymous said…
Good day!
what is your favorite color of....mine is pink!
By the way, I love that too! Where did you get that at?
See you soon! Girly Girl
[url=http://paid-survey-on-lineduegxwd.blogspot.com]see how I make free money with paid online surveys[/url]
At 8:21 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hello!
what is your favorite thing that oprah said about hawaii?
By the way, I love that too! How did you find that?
Bye, - MyGirl!
[url=online-paid-survey-yahoocomazzramlu.blogspot.com]see how I make free money with paid online surveys[/url]
At 2:24 PM,
Anonymous said…
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »
Post a Comment
<< Home