It Never Ends
One of my girlfriends came over for dinner Friday night, and sweetly presented me with a pregnancy book that she thought I would like. The book was about two women who got (oops!) pregnant at the same time, and the book is a dialogue of emails that they sent back and forth to each other regarding their pregnancies.
Since the temperature has been hovering around 100 degrees as of late, there’s not much else for me to do lately but read. So, I picked up this book. Big mistake.
I should have known, right? The women both get pregnant on the first cycle, neither of them even knew they were pregnant til they were 8 weeks, neither had any bleeding, spotting, worry about miscarriage, fucked up AFP results, gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, placenta previa, or any of the other million things that could go wrong. Instead they talked about how their nurseries were decorated, how their husbands loved them more than ever, how they were going to do the whole natural child birth thing, blah blah blah. I wanted to kill myself reading it, so I finally did the humane thing by putting the book down and then promptly fixing myself a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
How I wish my pregnancy could be like the ones in that book. I always thought that once I got pregnant, I would be able to move forward, away from infertility and fear and towards a normal life. But this pregnancy hasn’t turned out to be anything like I thought it would be, and instead of moving away from fear I live in it.
We’re still having a terrible time dealing with the fact that our child might have inherited Cystic Fibrosis from us. I had a bit of a breakdown last night worrying about it, and thought about calling to schedule an amnio so I could know for sure. If I did that, and it came back negative, it would make things so much easier. We would be able to enjoy this pregnancy so much more. Right now, my husband and I can barely look at each other, we’re so paralyzed by fear. But, I’ve been talking myself out of the amnio by telling myself that I have to do what’s best for this baby and not what’s best for myself right now. If I miscarried, not only would I never forgive myself, but there’s also a good chance that I’d never get pregnant again with a child that my husband and I created. We’re both carriers…no one will allow us to do IVF again unless we use donor egg or sperm.
So, for now we’re struggling to power through. And I’ll just keep on suppressing my fears by concentrating on all the great things that are related to this pregnancy (of which there are many, thankfully). I don’t know if that’s the best remedy, but I do know one thing for sure…That book is going straight into the trashcan when I get home.
Since the temperature has been hovering around 100 degrees as of late, there’s not much else for me to do lately but read. So, I picked up this book. Big mistake.
I should have known, right? The women both get pregnant on the first cycle, neither of them even knew they were pregnant til they were 8 weeks, neither had any bleeding, spotting, worry about miscarriage, fucked up AFP results, gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, placenta previa, or any of the other million things that could go wrong. Instead they talked about how their nurseries were decorated, how their husbands loved them more than ever, how they were going to do the whole natural child birth thing, blah blah blah. I wanted to kill myself reading it, so I finally did the humane thing by putting the book down and then promptly fixing myself a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
How I wish my pregnancy could be like the ones in that book. I always thought that once I got pregnant, I would be able to move forward, away from infertility and fear and towards a normal life. But this pregnancy hasn’t turned out to be anything like I thought it would be, and instead of moving away from fear I live in it.
We’re still having a terrible time dealing with the fact that our child might have inherited Cystic Fibrosis from us. I had a bit of a breakdown last night worrying about it, and thought about calling to schedule an amnio so I could know for sure. If I did that, and it came back negative, it would make things so much easier. We would be able to enjoy this pregnancy so much more. Right now, my husband and I can barely look at each other, we’re so paralyzed by fear. But, I’ve been talking myself out of the amnio by telling myself that I have to do what’s best for this baby and not what’s best for myself right now. If I miscarried, not only would I never forgive myself, but there’s also a good chance that I’d never get pregnant again with a child that my husband and I created. We’re both carriers…no one will allow us to do IVF again unless we use donor egg or sperm.
So, for now we’re struggling to power through. And I’ll just keep on suppressing my fears by concentrating on all the great things that are related to this pregnancy (of which there are many, thankfully). I don’t know if that’s the best remedy, but I do know one thing for sure…That book is going straight into the trashcan when I get home.

13 Comments:
At 1:47 PM,
Fertility Faux Pas said…
You are right about the PGD. I guess I subliminally discount that option since my RE told me that it "drastically reduces the chances of implantation". Maybe he just said that to cover his ass (since he obviously did not do PGD with us when he should have). To be honest, I need to research the option more. But thanks for the reminder...
At 6:57 PM,
Marie-Baguette said…
Have you talked with a genetic counselor? The mutations that you and your husband have might be mild, which means that even if your child were to have CF, it would be a mild form. I am definitly not a specialist, but we discovered recently, to our great surprise, that my husband has atypical CF. His only symptom is CBAVD. He is otherwise healthy, has no lungs or kidney issues. If you need help researching the issue, I will be glad to assist you, as I have become pretty obsessed with this subject.
I wish you all the best. Keep writing, your blog is great!
Marie
At 4:43 AM,
Anonymous said…
Totally trash that book!! I got one called "The fearless Pregnancy" because I knew I would be a basket case once the IVF worked.
I think about you often and wonder how I would cope if I were in your shoes, I think you are doing a great job. You are doing the very best that you can and I, for one am impressed. It is easy to say to stay positive, it is even easy to say to yourself, but everyone of us who had to work so hard to get pregnant knows that when your body does that to you in the first place, it is hard to trust it again. So, please try to stay as positive as you can, relish those moments when you belive and soon she will be here and you will feel a love that none of us could have ever imagined. Sweet little girl.
At 7:08 AM,
soralis said…
Throw that book away.
I am so sorry that you have to go through everything that you are going through.
Good luck and here's to a healthy little one.
At 7:57 AM,
charlie's mom said…
Burn the damn book. Seriously. Start a bonfire. I hate crap like that.
I have been thinking of you too and am really hoping that everything turns out OK. I'm really interested in what marie-baguette has to say, and keep thinking that the odds are still in your favor.
At 9:13 AM,
x said…
Make sure to put some gas on it so it burns really fast!
I am sorry this pregnancy hasn't been the time of joy those stupid book ladies were emailing about. Hopefully your time of happiness is right around the corner.
At 11:10 AM,
Lut C. said…
What an oaf to give you such an inappropriate book. Ugh.
I hope your fears prove unfounded. Take care.
At 9:44 PM,
Mony said…
What a woman.
You are quite amazing. No need for me to tell you to be strong. You are strength personified.
What a lucky baby to have you for a Mother.
At 12:25 PM,
beagle said…
Thinking of you and wishing you a very happy outcome after all this worry!
At 5:29 PM,
Demeter said…
I agree, simply toss the book and blow a torch on it.
My best friend works for CF Foundation, please let me know if you need any info. I can't imagine the anxiety you must be feeling until your little girl is born. I hope the 75% chance of not having it works to your advantage. Stay strong!
Now I realize how age can simply wreck our pregnancy experiences. Young women never imagine these things, they just have babies.
At 2:36 PM,
Chastity said…
If I could I would make photo copies of my personal journal from before and during my pregnancy and send it to you...it would probably make you feel a lot better than that book.
At 9:44 PM,
Anonymous said…
Excellent, love it!
»
At 1:42 AM,
Anonymous said…
Excellent, love it! » » »
Post a Comment
<< Home