Fertility Faux Pas

One woman's quest for mommyhood, despite the fact that most of her girly parts aren't behaving in a socially acceptable manner.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Two Trimesters Down, One To Go

So here we are at 29 weeks and I can’t believe how things have started to snowball. I guess once I decided to get off my ass and admit to myself that there would be a baby in our house in the imminent future, I was able to actually get some things done. You know, things that a normal, responsible mommy-to-be would have done months ago. Whatever, I’m doing it okay?

For instance, we bought nursery furniture. A crib, a dresser and an armoire. This child has more drawer space than my husband and I combined. And don’t get me started on how damn cute the crib is. It’s white, with solid panels on the ends, and four tall posters on the corners. And we have bedding too. I’m not a Disney Characters or Winnie the Pooh kind of girl, I like things to be a little less traditional. So I the colors I chose are brown, light green and turquoise. Polka dots and flowers. Very cute.

Last week I had my glucose tolerance test for gestational diabetes. Lo and behold, I actually passed. Imagine my surprise. I think it was the first fertility/baby related test that I actually fell into the “healthy” range. Hallelujah.

We took an infant CPR class on Monday. I highly recommend it. It only lasted an hour and it was very educational. Especially for me, since I had never previously been taught how to do CPR. My husband learned as a lifeguard when he was in college. But, he said the method they teach now is very different from the method he learned then, so if you ask me the class is worth taking even if you learned CPR in a previous life. There were three sets of grandparents at our class too. I thought that was pretty cool.

My doctor’s office started scheduling me for appointments every two weeks now instead of every four, so I go back next week. I’ve got a breast feeding class next week too. I’m still on the fence about the birthing class. Everyone I’ve ever asked that took it said all it did was scare the shit out of them. I figure I’ve had the shit scared out of me enough, so I’m leaning towards forgoing the class. I’ve seen enough episodes of Baby Story and the like. That counts for something, right?

I know it’s going to hurt, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit scared already. But, I know what to expect, as I’ve read everything I can get my hands on about labor and delivery. I plan on getting all the drugs (yeah, that’s right…don’t judge me). And I fully anticipate that somehow the delivery will get all crazy and we’ll end up doing an emergency c-section or something. After all, she didn’t get in there in the normal way, so why should I expect her to come out in the normal way? I don’t have any preconceived notions about how I want the delivery to be. I’m not picturing dimmed lights and soft music. I just want her to be born and to be healthy. And if that means I have to deliver in some high tech, fluorescent lit hospital room that is equipped with every medical device known to man, then fine by me. She was put in me in a room like that, so hey, maybe that’s what works for us.

Call me crazy, but that’s my plan. Or lack thereof.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Lut C. said…

    Only one more trimester! Time flies.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Portlairge said…

    I am almost 31 weeks and you are ahead of me on the to-do list. I bought a crib and dresser at 30 weeks. We still have to do infant CPR. I'm with you on the birthing class. I have no plan because it will never happen the way I want it to. I've read all I can and as long as we all get out of this alive, I'm happy.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are ahead of me too! We have the dresser, but nothing else... I did schedule the birthing class- more for the hubby than for me to be honest. He needs to be scared about it cause right now he's VERY relaxed, and well I'm not thinking it's going to be the peaches and cream that he's imagining. =)

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger charlie's mom said…

    I'm with you on the let's just get out of this in one piece birth plan. I need to research a bit more, but that is definitely my take on it.

    Love the nursery! A four poster crib is so cute.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger M said…

    YOu sound a lot like me. We waited quite awhile to buy the nursery furniture. In fact, we're still waiting on a crib piece. I'm also not into the character theme stuff- we did a very modern nursery. You can see pictures on my blog.
    We took birth classes this past weekend (which you can also read about on my blog) and I left in tears. I do not recommend them.
    I'm 31 weeks today!

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger soralis said…

    Congrats on the third trimester! Sounds like the nursery planning is going well!

    Take care and enjoy

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Demeter said…

    that sounds like a plan! I would do the same too. I am a coward for pain so all the meds I can get will make it better for me. Congratulations on passing your Diabetes test!
    Show us your crib and furniture you bought. It seems you are on a roll now!

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger beagle said…

    Congrats on reaching the home stretch . . . !!

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can respect a woman who goes without drugs, but man, give me the drugs.

     
  • At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MESSAGE

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    [url=http://sony.slim-cameras.org/index.php]sony digital camera dsc [/url]


    [url=http://kodak.slim-cameras.org/index.php]kodak digital camera[/url]



    [url=http://fuji.slim-cameras.org/index.php]camera digital film fuji [/url]


    [url=http://www.slim-cameras.org/index1.php]cheap digital camera[/url]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home